Muurame municipal youth services
Description of the organisation
The aims of the municipal youth services are to support the growth of young people and arrange different actions for youth free time.Youth services of Muurame municipality provides youth guided activities, information and counseling through youth centre, clubs, camps, trips and events. The activities are open for all 13-17 and in some cases to 10-29 years old. Activities are usually free. The youth services also provide facilities for youth band rehearsals.
There are two trained youth workers who are in charge of the activities. The activities are planned and implemented in cooperation with teenagers. We do cooperation with local schools, church, youth associations, parents and social services. In youth services there are also working manager of free time services and special youth worker.
We try to develop our international activities and give youth a chance to be active on international level. If possible EVS volunteer can started International Club and makae a short video project.
There is one youth center in Muurame wich is open three evenings per week and there are usually 40-60 young people per evening. Other youth clubs, group activities and youth workers offices are at the same building. The youth center consist 6 rooms with different purposes: tv-room, game room, kitchen, meeting room etc. Location of youth center is near school, mall and other services.
Modern and developing Muurame municipality is well positioned with good transport connections. The city of Jyväskylä is a 15 minutes drive and the closest airport is a 40 minute drive from Muurame. Muurame is growing with a current population of over 9 500. The population of Muurame is young with one in four inhabitants being under 14 years old and inhabitants over 65 years old account for some 10% of the total. Muurame provides developed municipal services and a pleasant work and residential environment.
School, culture and physical exercise services are mainly practised in the Kulttuurikeskus (Centre of Culture), which was completed in 1990. Alongside this centre is Muurame Swimming Pool. Outdoor swimming is enjoyed from the various lake beaches in Muurame. The varying nature of Muurame provides excellent settings, as well as, water recreation and forest rambling. A nature trail winds its way alongside the river and provides an excellent opportunity for viewing the river wildlife and botany. Riihivuori Ski Resort has suitable pistes to suit downhill skiers of all ages and skill levels. Muurame also boasts a quality golf course for lovers of golf.
Proposed activities for EVS volunteers
Versatile work tasks with youth between 13-17 years old:
– To plan, arrange and assist youth workers in youth clubs, arranged events, camps etc
– To help youth workers in our youth center evenings (3 evenings per week)
– To support youngsters and to give them a chance to develop their english and learn from another culture
– To create International Club and different kinds of international activities
– To do normal planning for activities in our office and help us in some easy office task
– Volunteer can also do tasks in cooperation network (etc. school, youth association)
– Finnish culture, English skills and maybe learn some Finnish too
– To develope for example social, arranging, emphatic and communicating skills
– Chance to learn about youth work and different kinds of office work tasks like reporting and planning
– To be part of creating international and tolerant atmosphere to our municipality
– Opportunities to apply volunteers own strengths and ideas
– Idyllic municipality with great network in field of youth work and nice work environment
Download daily timetable by clicking here
To apply please send us your CV and Motivation Letter to email@example.com (message title EVS in Finland) no later than 3rd of September 2014