If you are interested to join the project, please send us your CV and motivation letter as soon as possible to email@example.com
Keep Walking! Be European!
01 September 2015 – 01 March 2016
Project activities: 01/09/2015 – 01/03/2016
The volunteers will work with the following target groups: children 6 – 14 years old.
- get involved together with teachers, resource teachers and social educators in nonformal education activities targeted at children aged 6 to 14 years.
- plan, organize and implement handmade activities, team sports activities, English language transfer in 3 elementary schools and the social centres from Marasesti town and in The School Center for Inclusive Education “Elena Doamna” Focsani, using nonformal education methods.
- engage in community life, helping children in schools and social centers to take the first steps towards a better future and personal development, gaining confidence and becoming familiar to the European values.
- Writing weekly reports/articles where they describe their volunteer experience.
In schools, the activities will take place mainly during the Art classes, Handicraft classes, Technological education classes, English and Sport classes.
In the School Centre for Inclusive Education “Elena Doamna” and in the social centers, these activities will take place during the socializing and leisure time hours.
Expected learning outcomes:
By the end of the 6 – month stage the volunteers will be able to improve/acquire:
- knowledge and experience in performing leisure activities, handmade activities, sports activities.
- communication skills in English and other languages (Romanian, his/her own mother language; knowledge of basic Romanian language.
- knowledge of different methods of nonformal education like energizers, team building, gallery tour, role play, simulation.
- skills to work in an international team.
- skills in managing the relationship with children with special needs.
- knowledge of the organization of NGOs, experience in volunteering and interculturalism.
- time management skills, team coordination skills, they will learn what it means to bring a change in the environment where they live and they will also develop the European and intercultural dimension.
- coordination skills, teamwork, leadership, partnership management and project management, that serve them in future projects.
- the volunteers will also improve their social skills, networking skills, communication skills and become more motivated to engage in community life as a result of their working with children during the project.
- knowledge about the Romanian culture, traditions, customs, gastronomy. They will participate at intercultural evenings, they will visit local historical monuments, some bio-agricultural farms.
- We are looking for volunteers who are dynamic, creative, sociable, enthusiastic about children and patient in working with them;
- The volunteers should be 18 -30 years old and should not have bad habits;
- The volunteers should have basic knowledge of English;
- They should be motivated, willing to learn Romanian, able to work in a team, be flexible and creative: we would like to host young people with interesting hobbies, with their own ideas and open to different cultures.
- Strong motivation, willingness to see and to do something new, curiosity about the world and other cultures are welcome.
- The volunteers should be motivated by this project and able to attend the full duration of the project.
Food and Accommodation: The volunteer will live in a flat accommodation, in shared bedrooms, individual beds, with common area, shared cooking, washing, laundry and social facilities. Volunteers will be able to choose their own food according to their own desires, diet, religion.
Local Transport: Given the fact that Marasesti is a small town and there’s no public means of transport, the movement to the place where the activities take place will be on foot. Transportation to the School in Focsani will be done by minibuses that travel on this route every 30 minutes.
Volunteer Allowance: The volunteer will receive a monthly allowance of € 60.
Language of instruction: volunteers will receive training for practicing common words in Romanian language from a teacher, collaborator of our organisation. Volunteers will be supported by staff in our organisation in order to practice the language.
EVS volunteers will work 7 hours per day, 5 days a week, two consecutive days off per week and two days holiday per month during the project.
Holidays: two days per month and National Holidays.
Mărăṣeṣti is known as a town with a great historical significance because here took place a major battle during the First World War. The Battle of Mărăṣeṣti is mentioned in all history schoolbooks and it describes how bravely the Romanian soldiers fought to defend their country. The Mausoleum of Mărăṣeṣti was built to commemorate the Romanian Army members.
The Mausoleum, one of the most important memorial sites in Europe, was built in the place where, in the summer of 1917, great battles were fought between Germany and Romania. The battles ended with the Romanian victory, but its losses were heavy: 480 officers and 21.000 soldiers. In the Mausoleum the remains of 5073 soldiers and officers are buried in 154 individual crypts and 9 common tombs.
In Mărăṣeṣti you can also find the only “War Veterans Museum” in Romania, and of course war veterans from the Second World War, willing to share their stories of bravery.
Nowadays, Mărăşeşti is the poorest town of Vrancea County, with a population of approximately 10,000 inhabitants at the latest census of 2011, on the decrease comparing to previous years.
Beneficiaries of the project
“Modruzeni” is a Roma community in Marasesti town where reside over 1,200 Roma families. Over 300 children aged between 6 and 14 years old, attending schools in the local community, will benefit from this project.
CSEI “Elena Doamna” Focsani (School Center for Inclusive Education) is schooling a total of 299 pupils with special educational needs (whatever deficiency), of whom 116 are hearing impaired. This school is also our partner in this project. So, part of this children with special needs will also benefit from this project.
In Marasesti town there are also 8 apartments (social centers) belonging to D.G.A.S.P.C. (General Directorate for Social Assistance and Child Protection) from Vrancea County, where 40 children aged 6-14 are institutionalized. These children are also the beneficiaries of this project.